Follow by Email

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Making a Book Trailer



Today I want to discuss book trailers because I know that a lot of people are intimidated by this process or they assume they don't have the time. I am no expert in making book trailers, but I wanted to share this post to let you know how easily it can be done. It can also be done without taking all of your time.


It took me two weeks to put my book trailer together and I work a full-time job. I'd also just had a baby so no more excuses to get this done. If you want to go and pay someone to do this for you there is nothing wrong with that. If you have the money, go for it. This post is for the people who just don't have the money to put towards something that they can do with a little bit of patience. If you plan well, it makes the process go very smoothly.


There are only a few steps in this process and it can be done for free, if you look in the right places. I used window movie maker for mine, but you can also use imovie if you have a mac.


Step One: What do you want to say?


In the first step, before you even open windows movie maker, you need to figure out what you want to say. I believe the simpler it is, the better. It shouldn't be more than a couple of sentences.


Step Two: Pictures or Video


The second step is to look through some pictures or video that ties in to what you are saying. You can choose your own or go to http://photobucket.com/ or http://www.dreamstime.com/. Those are just a couple of sites where you can find some pictures to add to your trailer. Make sure they are ROYALTY FREE pictures. You have to be sure of this or you could face copyright infringement issues. Some of these are free and some are not so be aware. This was the longest process for me, but after I figured out what I wanted it went faster. I spread this out over a couple of days.


Step Three: Storyboard


In step three you need to draw you out a storyboard. This may seem like a wasted step, but trust me you will save time by doing this step. You will change your mind at least a dozen times and this will prevent having to change them in windows movie maker. You want everything final after you place them in movie maker.


Step Four:


In step four find some music that will fit in with your story. Match the tone of the story with the music. For example, is your book dramatic, sad, humerous, or scary? You can make your own music or find some sites that offer ROYALTY FREE MUSIC. I paid $7.00 for mine, but there is some free royalty free music out there. You can also use soundeffects. I found it was worth the $7.00 to get the perfect sound I was looking for.


Step Five:


The last step is, when everything is how you like it, place your files in windows movie maker. Remember to KEEP IT SIMPLE. Place your pictures in the order you want and set them to fade in and out or dissolve. This will be in animations. Set every transition for the picture the same or it will look cheezy and choppy (this is only my opinion). You can play around with the animations to see what you like. Next, tell your story. Add the text under the picture that matches up with what you want to say. Think of a movie trailer, each picture should tell a part of the story. You also want to set the animations/transition for your text. My favorite is dissolve. Use the same for all text. Now, you want to add your music. Make sure the music plays beginning to end. You want to set volume to fade in and to fade out. Once you tweak it as you like, save it for web use. Then, send it to Youtube and you are ready to share to all social media sites. Don't forget to add it to your website as well.


I have told you five simple steps in making a book trailer. I hope this helps erase the intimidation a lot of you have been feeling. I also would like to add don't over think this process. Just keep it simple. Some book trailer are a bit overdone, in my opinion. If you want your readers to use their own imagination, you need to keep actors out of it or at least their faces. Don't show too much because it could ruin the book before it gets published. Take your time and devote maybe 10-15 minutes a day to this so it can be fun and stress free.


I truly hope this has helped. Please suscribe to my blog for future posts. Thanks for stoping in.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this! It makes this process seem a lot easier for authors who feel intimidated by the process.

    ReplyDelete

Comment